Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Don't Be Tardy For The Party

Tuesday and Thursday mornings are to myself and while I should be cleaning the house, this morning I traveled to the small town of Merigold to McCartys Pottery. For those of you who have never heard of McCartys, you are in for a real treat! They have been in business for over 50 years now and if you go in most homes of the Delta and beyond, you can spot a piece or two ( or 200 ) . I was so excited to go today because I hardly ever do. My sweet mother in law treats me to pieces each Christmas and Birthday. Each year in March they have a huge sale...first come, first served kind of deal where people actually camp out for it. Well, I knew or thought I knew people camped out a day or two ahead at the most but to my surprise today I found out there are people camped out NOW.... and have been since the end of January. The sale is the first weekend in March! So to share with you a little about how this works I took pictures....


here is the camper of the folks that have been here for 2 weeks already... they even have electricity hooked up. see?


Below you will see chairs lined up with names on them claiming their spot. The chairs traveled around to the right of this building... I think there are already at least 60 chairs.
This is the grand entrance to the famous McCarty's Pottery. I can assure you...it doesn't look like much but it is filled with beautiful pottery. The McCartys also live here and maintain a beautiful garden that is something you just have to experience for yourself. Oh and there is a restaurant that serves lunch in the "back". Of course everything is served on or in McCartys pottery.


And here are my goodies! These are called gin and tonic cups. I can't wait to serve soups, drinks, coffee or even plant a flower in these. Anytime you receive a brown bag with the McCartys signature , be excited!

~ the wavy black mark represents the Mississippi river and adorns every piece ~



3 comments:

The Ainsworth Family said...

suzanne barnette goes to this every year.... they sleep in the car. hahaha. love your new little cup

Katie McCrary said...

are you kidding me, wow, thanks for documenting that urban legend for me....wow...

Ashley said...

OH MY! Don't know you but just found your cute blog! I LOVE McCarty and get it for birthdays and Christmas too! I have never been there, but always heard of the "sale" did not know it was that crazy! Thanks for sharing!:)