Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Beans and Rice! Beans and Rice!

So T and I are on our way to the lake Friday and scanning through the stations, we land on talk radio with Dave Ramsey. We have listened to him on and off through the years. Two callers back to back called in to say they were debt free. The first was a 27 year old male newlywed who is completely debt free of $30,000 after 16 months. The second caller was a man in his late 30's, married with 4 kids who just got out of $60,000 of debt in 26 months. On top of that he also managed to pay off his $600,000 mortgage! Before you ask how, I think T and I were so amazed at with what we just heard we started talking about how we have no excuse to be in debt of any form.

We both know that if we just suck it up for 2 solid years we could do wonders with our financial situation.

After many many months of back and forth with money matters and trying to figure out where it all goes, we have FINALLY decided to take the Davesque route and not only get out of debt, but obtain a substantial savings for our family. Spending or not spending shall I say is not one of my strong suits so this will take much discipline on my part. I'm not the most frequent cook either so I know we will save hundreds ( yes, I said hundreds) of dollars just eating out each month. I'm appalled every few months when I decide to get real and look at what we spend where.
Ever since I was pregnant the first time I felt I had to have something good for dinner almost every night. I have not been one to be okay just eating a pot of white rice like T but I'm getting better. I think it has all to do with contentment and the more time I spend with God, the more content I become. Amen to that!
So say a little prayer for me! I will need the encouragement. I hate to miss out on a good deal (must stay away from shopping) or a good meal. Now, just like with any diet, one can't totally deprive oneself from everything so we have made a deal to eat out once a month for big dinners and once a month for small ones..... Any simple recipes you may have are welcomed.
Friends know this, if you ask me to do something that costs, I'm not being anti-social.. I just want to be debt free. Maybe one day T and I can call Dave and scream over the phone.. "We're Debt Freeeeeee!'

6 comments:

Amy said...

You Go Girl!! :)

Breisch and Angie Stallings said...

Hey girl,
It seems like we are always on the same page. I know how that guy paid off his mortagae! We are doing that same thing and we will be finish in over half the time. You need to talk to Breisch he can explain it better.

Lauren said...

We have done the Dave-thing several times! Unfortunately we tend to fall off the wagon from time to time, but it has been on my mind lately too. Maybe we could do Financial Peace at church! Good luck to y'all. I'm with you on the dining out- can't wait to have Connie's poppyseed chicken for lunch today! lol

Amelia said...

I love Dave!! I just started reading his book. I want to be debt free so bad!! Got to get on the same page as my husband. I have totally cut out buying kids clothes, house things, etc. Just necessities. I do splurge sometimes....can't help myself. Good luck!!! It will be hard in the beginning but it will be worth it.

The Ainsworth Family said...

I have tons of easy recipes that I will be glad to pass along. i like to do the quick easy cooking. you can do anything in the crock pot and it comes out wonderful. email me sometimes and i will be glad to forward you what i have and some good websites for you to check out. aainsworth@mssc.state.ms.us or alison.ainsworth4@gmail.com

Mamie Causey said...

Big Dave Fan! Good luck on your journey!