Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sew what?

Before I share my project with you I want to take a moment to talk about Lent. Growing up in the Catholic school system, we were taught that you give up something for Lent. I never truly understood the why but I would go along with it because, well, that's what you did. Then there was the "lull" in my life before I became a Christian and this Lent thing came up again. Since we are not Catholic, I brushed it off as a Catholic ritual. Then I was told it's a man-made act anyway... meaning it's not Biblical. But you know what? I think it is Biblical. Lent is the 40 days leading up to Easter and represents the 40 days Jesus was tempted in the wilderness by Satan(Matthew 4:1-11). If you consider what God gave up for us ( his son) the least I can do is give up something that we really love for 40 days out of the year. This is how I feel about it anyway. So with that said, I have decided to give up facebook (cringing) because it really does take up much of my time. Time I could be focusing on my relationship with God, my husband, my children. This will truly be a sacrifice because I literally check it a dozen times a day. Crazy I know. I'm not announcing this to get credit...just to share.
Now, doesn't this look like the tools of a professional?


When i bought Wade's crib bedding ( Retro Cowboy by Michael Miller) I purchased some extra fabrics in the event I would make something. Now is my time! I have been so anxious to have the boys bed skirts made and fretting over finding a seamstress that would not charge me out the wahzoo to do it... a light bulb went off! (or should that be on?) Anyway...
The boys' beds ( which were my Nana's antique twin beds) are up against the walls so I knew I didn't need a full bed skirt. And the way the bed frame is made, you can't just let the skirt hang off the mattress... sooo I had the idea to velcro panels to the inside of the frame. Then for the "hem" I found some bonding tape and .....


Voila!
(and cost me about $5..plus the price of fabric of course)

2 comments:

Amy S. Norris said...

wahoo!!!!! watch out or i might hire you. :)

ps - whether biblical or not, lent is what you make of it. personally, it is one of my favorite times. it humbles me to see all the sacrifices and giving and such that people do to find themselves closer to Him. :)

Katie McCrary said...

oh no you didn't sew those without a stitch, now that is my kinda girl!